Construction of new Obluchensky Tunnel at the 8193rd kilometer of Obluchie-Ivestkovaya section of the Far East Railway Line.
The construction began in September 2011 and was completed in November 2013.
The tunnel length is 860 m.
Scope of Operations:
- Construction of a new single-track tunnel (even-numbered track) running in parallel with the existing tunnel;
- Erecting cast-in-place reinforced concrete lining and closed-loop waterproofing;
- Installation of a non-ballasted continuous-welded rail track on small-sized frames with interposition of shock-absorbing pads;
- Provision of heated water drain gutters;
- Construction of cast-in-place reinforced concrete tunnel entries.
The tunnel was driven using drilling and blasting. The face was worked through the entire tunnel cross-section moving from the western tunnel entry. Two-step benching was used for driving from the eastern tunnel entry. The top (cap) tunnel section was connected on May 29, 2012. The stross driving started after the connection. Atlas Copco Boomer E3C and self-propelled Robolt 08-3 drilling rig were used for drilling the blast holes.